Skip to main content

Jeremy Corbyn apologises for 'pockets' of anti-Semitism within Labour Party

New post

Jeremy Corbyn
Image:Jeremy Corbyn has said the Labour Party is 'sincerely sorry'
Jeremy Corbyn has said he is "sincerely sorry" for pain caused by anti-Semitism which occurred in "pockets" within the Labour Party.
In a statement on Sunday, the Labour leader said he "utterly" condemns anti-Semitism and that as leader he "will not tolerate any form of anti-Semitism that exists in and around our movement".
He said: "We recognise that anti-Semitism has occurred in pockets within the Labour Party, causing pain and hurt to our Jewish community in the Labour Party and the rest of the country.
"I am sincerely sorry for the pain which has been caused."
Earlier on Sunday, senior Labour figures defended Mr Corbyn amid the row over his apparent support for an anti-Semitic mural.
Shadow transport secretary Andy McDonald told Sky News' Sunday with Niall Paterson that the Labour leader "hasn't got an anti-Semitic bone in his body", while deputy leader Tom Watson said Mr Corbyn had expressed "deep regret".
Jeremy Corbyn is facing questions by his own MPs over his apparent support for an artist's anti-Semitic mural on a street in east London .
Image:Jeremy Corbyn seemed to post on Facebook in support of an anti-Semitic mural
The mural, made by street artist Mear One, depicted a group of Jewish financiers and white businessmen playing a Monopoly-style game on a board balanced on the backs of people.
Included in the portrait, which was removed by Tower Hamlets Council after a number of complaints were made, was an activist holding a banner which read: "The new world order is the enemy of humanity."
Mr Corbyn left a comment on a Facebook post by Mear One, real name Kalen Ockerman, in 2012 after the artist revealed his work was set to be whitewashed.
The Labour MP wrote: "Why? You are in good company. Rockerfeller (sic) destroyed Diego Viera's mural because it includes a picture of Lenin."

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn
Image:Mr Corbyn said he now 'whole-heartedly' supports the mural's removal
Mr Corbyn was criticised for initially expressing "sincere regret that I did not look more closely at the image I was commenting on, the contents of which are deeply disturbing and anti-Semitic" rather than issuing an apology.
Before his apology on Sunday evening, his statement read: "In 2012 I made a general comment about the removal of public art on grounds of freedom of speech. My comment referred to the destruction of the mural Man at the Crossroads by Diego Rivera on the Rockefeller Center.
"That is in no way comparable with the mural in the original post. I sincerely regret that I did not look more closely at the image I was commenting on, the contents of which are deeply disturbing and anti-Semitic.
"I wholeheartedly support its removal.
"I am opposed to the production of anti-Semitic material of any kind, and the defence of free speech cannot be used as a justification for the promotion of anti-Semitism in any form. That is a view I've always held."

As a result of the concern regarding Mr Corbyn's apparent support of anti-Semitism, the Jewish Leadership Council (JLC) has called on members of the Jewish community to gather in Parliament Square on Monday ahead of a Parliamentary Labour Party meeting.
The JLC accused Jeremy Corbyn of a "systematic failure to understand and deal with antisemitism" and said that Jewish community leaders would hand deliver a letter to the PLP meeting.

Comments

TRENDING

Susan Boyle 'Is Replaced on Britain's Got Talent: The Champions'

Do you Need A visa To Visit Kenya

Lucrative Pop Phenomenon

Week 14 college football rankings: Collecting new top 25s as they come out

How to prepare Miso Chicken

Star Trek actor Anton Yelchin's parents settle legal case with Fiat over his death

Popular posts from this blog

Susan Boyle 'Is Replaced on Britain's Got Talent: The Champions'

Susan Boyle 'Is Replaced on Britain's Got Talent: The Champions' Susan Boyle has been reportedly been replaced on Britain’s Got Talent: The Champions (Picture: Rex) Susan Boyle is reportedly being replaced on  Britain’s Got Talent : The Champions by 2011 winner Jai MacDowall. SuBo’s place on the BGT spin-off series had been in jeopardy due to her packed schedule, so bosses chose to recruit another contestant, sources claimed. Scottish singer Jai, 33, was apparently brought in by producers after successfully auditioning against 2014 finalist Lucy Kay, 30. ‘They didn’t want to be short of contestants and SuBo was looking unlikely to confirm her appearance,’ a source told  . ‘Jai was ecstatic and will be putting his heart into the show, in the hope of making it right to the end.’ Metro.co.uk has contacted reps for ITV and Susan for comment. Jai McDowall, who won the 2011 series, is apparently replacing her (Picture: Getty) Susan, who has sold m...

What to watch in the Americas today

What to watch in the Americas today Expansion: The US Federal Reserve will get a gander at its leaned toward expansion measure today with the arrival of individual utilization consumptions (PCE) information. The PCE value record barring food and energy costs was up 4.1 percent in October, the biggest leap since the 1990s. Financial analysts surveyed by FactSet expect a considerably greater yearly ascent in November of 4.6 percent. The report will likewise detail the most recent information on close to home spending and pay. Estimate show that both are probably going to have climbed month-to-month. Jobless cases: Economists have anticipated that new joblessness filings ticked lower last week to 205,000 from the 206,000 every week sooner. That would mean the speed of jobless cases stayed close to pre-pandemic levels, a sign that organizations have kept away from lay-offs while attempting to staff up in the midst of the recuperation. Tough merchandise: The Census Bureau will distribute it...

Do you Need A visa To Visit Kenya

  Kenya has announced the removal of visa requirements for all visitors, starting in January.  President William Ruto stated that a digital platform has been developed to provide electronic travel authorization, eliminating the need for a visa. This decision is part of Kenya's efforts to promote tourism and facilitate easier travel for visitors. The move is also in line with the country's plan to end all visa requirements for visitors from other African countries by 2024 This significant change in visa policy is expected to have a positive impact on tourism and travel to Kenya. It reflects the country's commitment to enhancing its openness and accessibility to visitors from around the world, particularly from the African continent. The removal of visa requirements is likely to contribute to the growth of the tourism sector and strengthen Kenya's position as a key destination for travelers.  The new policy aligns with President Ruto's vision of promoting visa-free tr...

Lucrative Pop Phenomenon

New post Lucrative Pop Phenomenon Ogden Payne  ,     CONTRIBUTOR I write for, and about, the up-and-coming musician.     SACRAMENTO, CA - OCTOBER 11: The Weeknd performs during his 'Starboy World Tour' at Golden 1 Center on October 11, 2017 in Sacramento, California. (Photo by Tim Mosenfelder/Getty Images) The Weeknd silently graced streaming sites with his latest album  My Dear Melancholy. Outside of music, he appears to be a man of few words whose identity seems to be as somber his latest album title. His career, however, is much more colorful. His accolades include a collection of Grammy Awards and a spot on the cover of FORBES, amounting to the perfect balance between art and business. But peeling back the layers to understand how exactly the Toronto native became such a worldwide phenomenon is a thought as alluring as the singer’s persona. He Embraced Humble Beginnings “Can’t nobody stop us, used to be ...