Skip to main content

Senior Lawyer Rajeev Dhavan Quits Practice, Cites 'Humiliation' In Court

Senior Lawyer Rajeev Dhavan Quits Practice, Cites 'Humiliation' In Court

Senior lawyer Rajeev Dhavan, who has a career spanning over three decades, had been admonished by the Supreme Court in three cases taken up on three consecutive days last week

 India| Updated: December 11, 2017 Sponsored Links 

Senior Lawyer Rajeev Dhavan Quits Practice, Cites 'Humiliation' In Court
Senior lawyer Rajeev Dhavan has fought many high-profile cases (File)
NEW DELHI:  Rajeev Dhavan, a senior lawyer who has fought many high-profile cases, today quit his legal practice citing humiliation in court -- a move that took many by surprise.

Mr Dhavan, who has a career spanning over three decades, had been admonished by the Supreme Court in three cases taken up on three consecutive days last week.

"After the humiliating end to the Delhi case, I have decided to give up Court practice. You are entitled to take back my Senior Gown conferred on me, though I would like to keep it for memory and services rendered," the senior lawyer wrote in a letter to the Chief Justice of India, Dipak Misra.

Last Tuesday, there were loud arguments in court as Mr Dhavan said hearings in the Ayodhya temple-mosque dispute should be deferred as he made the point that Justice Misra would not be able to reach a conclusion before his retirement in October next.

A day later, representing the Delhi government in its power tussle with Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal, Mr Dhavan engaged in a verbal back-and-forth with the Chief Justice.

In a third case revolving around a Parsi woman's petition on her religious identity after marrying a Hindu, the top court expressed displeasure over what it called lawyers violating decorum.

"What happened yesterday was atrocious and what happened a day before was more atrocious," said the Chief Justice on Thursday.

Without taking names, Justice Misra referred to the Delhi and Ayodhya hearings and said: "Raising voices will never be tolerated. Argue on legal principles. Raising voice shows incompetency not worthy of a senior lawyer and their actions are atrocious.  When Bar fails to regulate we will be compelled to regulate."

Raising voices, added the country's top judge, "only shows their inadequacy, incompetence and that they are not fit to be seniors."

Many Jurists felt Mr Dhavan's decision was unfortunate and he shouldn't have given up his practice.

"Just because Dhavan's submissions were not accepted he is quitting.  He should not be hypersensitive and must have broad shoulders and it sets bad example...My advice to Dhavan is don't be hyper sensitive, come and practice," said Soli Sorabjee, former Attorney General.

Comments

TRENDING

Felicity Cloake’s hot cross buns recipe

Susan Boyle 'Is Replaced on Britain's Got Talent: The Champions'

Do you Need A visa To Visit Kenya

Lucrative Pop Phenomenon

How to prepare Miso Chicken

Week 14 college football rankings: Collecting new top 25s as they come out

Hero' officer who swapped with French supermarket hostage dies

Popular posts from this blog

Felicity Cloake’s hot cross buns recipe

New post Felicity Cloake’s hot cross buns recipe Felicity Cloake’s step-by-step approach to the quintessential Easter treat fun of making your own. They may take some time to prep but are all part of the pre-Easter ritual. Prep 3 hr Bake 25 min Makes 16 200ml milk , plus a little extra for glazing 3 cardamom pods 1 cinnamon stick 2 cloves ¼ tsp grated nutmeg 1 pinch saffron 450g strong white flour 7g sachet fast-action yeast 100g cold butter 50g golden caster sugar , plus 1 tbsp extra for the syrup ½ tsp salt ½ tsp ground ginger 3 eggs 150g currants 50g mixed peel 3 tbsp plain flour 1 Infuse the milk Pour the milk into a small pan. Squash the cardamom pods with the back of a knife, then add to the milk with the cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and saffron. Heat gently to a simmer, then take the pan off the heat and leave the milk to infuse for an hour.   All Dfg 3 Make the dough Lightly beat two of the eggs, then pour these into the...

Susan Boyle 'Is Replaced on Britain's Got Talent: The Champions'

Susan Boyle 'Is Replaced on Britain's Got Talent: The Champions' Susan Boyle has been reportedly been replaced on Britain’s Got Talent: The Champions (Picture: Rex) Susan Boyle is reportedly being replaced on  Britain’s Got Talent : The Champions by 2011 winner Jai MacDowall. SuBo’s place on the BGT spin-off series had been in jeopardy due to her packed schedule, so bosses chose to recruit another contestant, sources claimed. Scottish singer Jai, 33, was apparently brought in by producers after successfully auditioning against 2014 finalist Lucy Kay, 30. ‘They didn’t want to be short of contestants and SuBo was looking unlikely to confirm her appearance,’ a source told  . ‘Jai was ecstatic and will be putting his heart into the show, in the hope of making it right to the end.’ Metro.co.uk has contacted reps for ITV and Susan for comment. Jai McDowall, who won the 2011 series, is apparently replacing her (Picture: Getty) Susan, who has sold m...

What to watch in the Americas today

What to watch in the Americas today Expansion: The US Federal Reserve will get a gander at its leaned toward expansion measure today with the arrival of individual utilization consumptions (PCE) information. The PCE value record barring food and energy costs was up 4.1 percent in October, the biggest leap since the 1990s. Financial analysts surveyed by FactSet expect a considerably greater yearly ascent in November of 4.6 percent. The report will likewise detail the most recent information on close to home spending and pay. Estimate show that both are probably going to have climbed month-to-month. Jobless cases: Economists have anticipated that new joblessness filings ticked lower last week to 205,000 from the 206,000 every week sooner. That would mean the speed of jobless cases stayed close to pre-pandemic levels, a sign that organizations have kept away from lay-offs while attempting to staff up in the midst of the recuperation. Tough merchandise: The Census Bureau will distribute it...

Do you Need A visa To Visit Kenya

  Kenya has announced the removal of visa requirements for all visitors, starting in January.  President William Ruto stated that a digital platform has been developed to provide electronic travel authorization, eliminating the need for a visa. This decision is part of Kenya's efforts to promote tourism and facilitate easier travel for visitors. The move is also in line with the country's plan to end all visa requirements for visitors from other African countries by 2024 This significant change in visa policy is expected to have a positive impact on tourism and travel to Kenya. It reflects the country's commitment to enhancing its openness and accessibility to visitors from around the world, particularly from the African continent. The removal of visa requirements is likely to contribute to the growth of the tourism sector and strengthen Kenya's position as a key destination for travelers.  The new policy aligns with President Ruto's vision of promoting visa-free tr...