Skip to main content

The Supreme Court on Friday allowed President Donald Trump to transfer billions of dollars of military funding in order to construct hundreds of miles of wall along the U.S.-Mexico border in Arizona, California and New Mexico.


  • The Supreme Court on Friday allowed President Donald Trump to transfer billions of dollars of military funding in order to construct hundreds of miles of wall along the U.S.-Mexico border in Arizona, California and New Mexico.
  • The funding transfer was challenged by the environmental nonprofit Sierra Club and a border area advocacy group in February, shortly after Trump announced he would move forward with plans to construct the wall despite opposition from Congress.
  • The fight over border wall funding sparked the longest federal government shutdown in history.
RT: Donald Trump US Mexico border
President Donald Trump tours the area around the U.S.-Mexico border wall in Calexico, California, U.S., April 5, 2019.

The Supreme Court on Friday allowed President Donald Trump to transfer billions of dollars of military funding in order to construct hundreds of miles of wall along the U.S.-Mexico border in Arizona, California and New Mexico.
The funding transfer was challenged by the environmental nonprofit Sierra Club and a border area advocacy group in February, shortly after Trump announced he would move forward with plans to construct the wall despite opposition from Congress. The funding had been frozen per lower courts’ decisions.
The country’s highest court voted 5-4 to allow the funding transfer, with Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan dissenting. Justice Stephen Breyer dissented in part, saying he would approve the transfer of funds but would not have construction of the wall begin just yet.
A brief order explaining the court’s decision said the government “made a sufficient showing” that the groups challenging the decision did not have grounds to bring a lawsuit.
Trump praised the court’s decision in a tweet Friday, calling it a victory for “border security and the rule of law.”
Wow! Big VICTORY on the Wall. The United States Supreme Court overturns lower court injunction, allows Southern Border Wall to proceed. Big WIN for Border Security and the Rule of Law!
66.5K people are talking about this

The fight over border wall funding sparked the longest federal government shutdown in history. Congress ultimately allocated about $1.4 billion in border wall funding to be deployed in Texas, far short of the $6 billion the administration sought.
Trump subsequently declared a national emergency at the southern border and claimed that the declaration would make available the full $6 billion, including $2.5 billion transferred from the Department of Defense.
Sierra Club and the Southern Border Communities Coalition challenged the $2.5 billion transfer, alleging that construction of the wall would cause environmental harm and permit the president to spend money denied to him by lawmakers.
A federal district court in California blocked the funds transfer in June. District Judge Haywood Gillium wrote that Congress “struck what it considered to be the proper balance — in the public’s interest — by making available only $1.375 billion in funding.”
The Justice Department asked the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to halt the lower court’s order, but it refused to do so, voting to reject the administration in early July by a vote of 2-1.
On July 12, the administration brought its case to the Supreme Court. In a filing with the justices, Solicitor General Noel Francisco argued that the wall funding is necessary “to stanch the flow of illegal drugs across the southern border.”
Those concerns outweigh “whatever aesthetic and recreational injuries respondents and their members may incur” if the wall is constructed, Francisco wrote.
Breyer, in a written opinion published Friday, said construction of the border wall would “cause irreparable harm to the environment,” but that denying the transfer of funding would constitute a final judgement on the matter. Breyer wrote:
“If we instead deny the stay, however, it is the Government that may be irreparably harmed. The Government has represented that, if it is unable to finalize the contracts by September 30, then the funds at issue will be returned to the Treasury and the injunction will have operated, in effect, as a final judgment. ... I can therefore find no justification for granting the stay in full, as the majority does.”

Comments

TRENDING

Felicity Cloake’s hot cross buns recipe

Susan Boyle 'Is Replaced on Britain's Got Talent: The Champions'

Do you Need A visa To Visit Kenya

Lucrative Pop Phenomenon

How to prepare Miso Chicken

Week 14 college football rankings: Collecting new top 25s as they come out

Hero' officer who swapped with French supermarket hostage dies

Popular posts from this blog

Felicity Cloake’s hot cross buns recipe

New post Felicity Cloake’s hot cross buns recipe Felicity Cloake’s step-by-step approach to the quintessential Easter treat fun of making your own. They may take some time to prep but are all part of the pre-Easter ritual. Prep 3 hr Bake 25 min Makes 16 200ml milk , plus a little extra for glazing 3 cardamom pods 1 cinnamon stick 2 cloves ¼ tsp grated nutmeg 1 pinch saffron 450g strong white flour 7g sachet fast-action yeast 100g cold butter 50g golden caster sugar , plus 1 tbsp extra for the syrup ½ tsp salt ½ tsp ground ginger 3 eggs 150g currants 50g mixed peel 3 tbsp plain flour 1 Infuse the milk Pour the milk into a small pan. Squash the cardamom pods with the back of a knife, then add to the milk with the cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and saffron. Heat gently to a simmer, then take the pan off the heat and leave the milk to infuse for an hour.   All Dfg 3 Make the dough Lightly beat two of the eggs, then pour these into the...

Susan Boyle 'Is Replaced on Britain's Got Talent: The Champions'

Susan Boyle 'Is Replaced on Britain's Got Talent: The Champions' Susan Boyle has been reportedly been replaced on Britain’s Got Talent: The Champions (Picture: Rex) Susan Boyle is reportedly being replaced on  Britain’s Got Talent : The Champions by 2011 winner Jai MacDowall. SuBo’s place on the BGT spin-off series had been in jeopardy due to her packed schedule, so bosses chose to recruit another contestant, sources claimed. Scottish singer Jai, 33, was apparently brought in by producers after successfully auditioning against 2014 finalist Lucy Kay, 30. ‘They didn’t want to be short of contestants and SuBo was looking unlikely to confirm her appearance,’ a source told  . ‘Jai was ecstatic and will be putting his heart into the show, in the hope of making it right to the end.’ Metro.co.uk has contacted reps for ITV and Susan for comment. Jai McDowall, who won the 2011 series, is apparently replacing her (Picture: Getty) Susan, who has sold m...

What to watch in the Americas today

What to watch in the Americas today Expansion: The US Federal Reserve will get a gander at its leaned toward expansion measure today with the arrival of individual utilization consumptions (PCE) information. The PCE value record barring food and energy costs was up 4.1 percent in October, the biggest leap since the 1990s. Financial analysts surveyed by FactSet expect a considerably greater yearly ascent in November of 4.6 percent. The report will likewise detail the most recent information on close to home spending and pay. Estimate show that both are probably going to have climbed month-to-month. Jobless cases: Economists have anticipated that new joblessness filings ticked lower last week to 205,000 from the 206,000 every week sooner. That would mean the speed of jobless cases stayed close to pre-pandemic levels, a sign that organizations have kept away from lay-offs while attempting to staff up in the midst of the recuperation. Tough merchandise: The Census Bureau will distribute it...

Do you Need A visa To Visit Kenya

  Kenya has announced the removal of visa requirements for all visitors, starting in January.  President William Ruto stated that a digital platform has been developed to provide electronic travel authorization, eliminating the need for a visa. This decision is part of Kenya's efforts to promote tourism and facilitate easier travel for visitors. The move is also in line with the country's plan to end all visa requirements for visitors from other African countries by 2024 This significant change in visa policy is expected to have a positive impact on tourism and travel to Kenya. It reflects the country's commitment to enhancing its openness and accessibility to visitors from around the world, particularly from the African continent. The removal of visa requirements is likely to contribute to the growth of the tourism sector and strengthen Kenya's position as a key destination for travelers.  The new policy aligns with President Ruto's vision of promoting visa-free tr...