Skip to main content

Kim Wall: Headless body identified as missing journalist

                   

Kim Wall: Headless body identified as missing journalist



A headless torso found in waters off Denmark has been identified as missing Swedish journalist Kim Wall, Danish police say.
DNA from the torso matched that from Ms Wall's hairbrush and toothbrush.
Chief investigator Jens Moller Jensen said that the torso had been weighted down with metal in an apparent attempt to stop it floating.
Ms Wall was last seen alive on 10 August as she departed on a submarine trip with inventor Peter Madsen.
The submarine sank hours after the search for Ms Wall began, after her partner reported that she had not returned from the trip. Mr Madsen, who designed and built the submarine, was charged with negligent manslaughter.
He initially said he had dropped her off safely near Copenhagen, but has since said she died in an accident and that he had "buried" her at sea.
Danish police believe the 40-tonne submarine was deliberately sunk by Mr Madsen.
Traces of blood have been found inside the submarine, and they also match Ms Wall.
The remains were found on a beach south of Copenhagen on Monday.
Mr Jensen would not comment on the cause of death but said forensic investigations were still being carried out and police were looking for the rest of her body.
As well as the metal attached to the torso, Mr Jensen said the remains were mutilated in what appeared to be an attempt to ensure that decomposition gases passed out of the body, to make it less likely to float.
Kim Wall's mother Ingrid wrote of the family's "boundless sorrow" at the news that her daughter's remains had been found.
"During the horrendous days since Kim disappeared, we have received countless examples of how loved and appreciated she was, as a person and as a friend, as well as a professional journalist," Ingrid Wall said in a family statement released on Facebook.
"From all corners of the world we have received testimony to how she was able to be a person who made a difference."
Peter Madsen and Kim Wall on the submarine NautilusImage 
Image captio  just  departing

What happened to Kim Wall?

Ms Wall, 30, was reported missing by her boyfriend in the early hours of 11 August, after she failed to return from the trip on Peter Madsen's homemade submarine, the Nautilus.
A freelance journalist who had written for the Guardian, New York Times and South China Morning Post, she was researching a feature about the inventor and the Nautilus, which he built in 2008 with crowdfunding
Emergency services scoured the area of sea to the east of Copenhagen and the submarine was eventually spotted from a lighthouse south of the Oresund bridge between Denmark and Sweden. Within 30 minutes the vessel had sunk and Mr Madsen was rescued.
For 10 days, the search for the journalist continued. A torso was found by a passing cyclist on a beach near Koge Bay on Monday.
Police said the next day that the arms, legs and head had been deliberately cut off. They finally confirmed it was Kim Wall in a tweet early on Wednesday.
Mr Madsen's lawyer, Betina Hald Engmark, said the news that the torso was Ms Wall did not change her client's position, that the journalist had died in an accident. Both she and her client were pleased that the remains had been found, she told Danish media.
Peter Madsen pleaded not guilty in a closed-door judicial hearing earlier this month



Danish authorities are continuing to look for Ms Wall's remains at sea and along the coast


Copenhagen police are re-examining old cases, as is standard in such investigations, Mr Jensen said, including the death of a 22-year-old Japanese woman, whose torso was found in Copenhagen harbour in 1986. That case has never been solved.

Comments

TRENDING

Susan Boyle 'Is Replaced on Britain's Got Talent: The Champions'

Do you Need A visa To Visit Kenya

Lucrative Pop Phenomenon

Week 14 college football rankings: Collecting new top 25s as they come out

How to prepare Miso Chicken

Star Trek actor Anton Yelchin's parents settle legal case with Fiat over his death

Popular posts from this blog

Susan Boyle 'Is Replaced on Britain's Got Talent: The Champions'

Susan Boyle 'Is Replaced on Britain's Got Talent: The Champions' Susan Boyle has been reportedly been replaced on Britain’s Got Talent: The Champions (Picture: Rex) Susan Boyle is reportedly being replaced on  Britain’s Got Talent : The Champions by 2011 winner Jai MacDowall. SuBo’s place on the BGT spin-off series had been in jeopardy due to her packed schedule, so bosses chose to recruit another contestant, sources claimed. Scottish singer Jai, 33, was apparently brought in by producers after successfully auditioning against 2014 finalist Lucy Kay, 30. ‘They didn’t want to be short of contestants and SuBo was looking unlikely to confirm her appearance,’ a source told  . ‘Jai was ecstatic and will be putting his heart into the show, in the hope of making it right to the end.’ Metro.co.uk has contacted reps for ITV and Susan for comment. Jai McDowall, who won the 2011 series, is apparently replacing her (Picture: Getty) Susan, who has sold m...

What to watch in the Americas today

What to watch in the Americas today Expansion: The US Federal Reserve will get a gander at its leaned toward expansion measure today with the arrival of individual utilization consumptions (PCE) information. The PCE value record barring food and energy costs was up 4.1 percent in October, the biggest leap since the 1990s. Financial analysts surveyed by FactSet expect a considerably greater yearly ascent in November of 4.6 percent. The report will likewise detail the most recent information on close to home spending and pay. Estimate show that both are probably going to have climbed month-to-month. Jobless cases: Economists have anticipated that new joblessness filings ticked lower last week to 205,000 from the 206,000 every week sooner. That would mean the speed of jobless cases stayed close to pre-pandemic levels, a sign that organizations have kept away from lay-offs while attempting to staff up in the midst of the recuperation. Tough merchandise: The Census Bureau will distribute it...

Do you Need A visa To Visit Kenya

  Kenya has announced the removal of visa requirements for all visitors, starting in January.  President William Ruto stated that a digital platform has been developed to provide electronic travel authorization, eliminating the need for a visa. This decision is part of Kenya's efforts to promote tourism and facilitate easier travel for visitors. The move is also in line with the country's plan to end all visa requirements for visitors from other African countries by 2024 This significant change in visa policy is expected to have a positive impact on tourism and travel to Kenya. It reflects the country's commitment to enhancing its openness and accessibility to visitors from around the world, particularly from the African continent. The removal of visa requirements is likely to contribute to the growth of the tourism sector and strengthen Kenya's position as a key destination for travelers.  The new policy aligns with President Ruto's vision of promoting visa-free tr...

Lucrative Pop Phenomenon

New post Lucrative Pop Phenomenon Ogden Payne  ,     CONTRIBUTOR I write for, and about, the up-and-coming musician.     SACRAMENTO, CA - OCTOBER 11: The Weeknd performs during his 'Starboy World Tour' at Golden 1 Center on October 11, 2017 in Sacramento, California. (Photo by Tim Mosenfelder/Getty Images) The Weeknd silently graced streaming sites with his latest album  My Dear Melancholy. Outside of music, he appears to be a man of few words whose identity seems to be as somber his latest album title. His career, however, is much more colorful. His accolades include a collection of Grammy Awards and a spot on the cover of FORBES, amounting to the perfect balance between art and business. But peeling back the layers to understand how exactly the Toronto native became such a worldwide phenomenon is a thought as alluring as the singer’s persona. He Embraced Humble Beginnings “Can’t nobody stop us, used to be ...